11th and 12th of Feburay 2020
First workshop of the European Coast Guard Function Forum - Lisbon
On the 11th and 12th of February, the French Secretariat general for the sea organized and led a workshop on information sharing and data security in the fields of maritime safety and security, with the support of the European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA). This workshop was part of the European Coast Guard Function Forum (ECGFF), chaired by France in 2020.
Hosted at the EMSA headquarters, the Agency's Director, Maja Markovčić Kostelac, and the Deputy Secretary-General for the Sea, rear-admiral Jean-François Quérat both attended the workshop, as well as nearly 120 people, members of delegations from 19 Member States of the European Union or the European Economic Area, as well as 9 European agencies*.
Alternating between plenary sessions and group work, the participants had an extensive exchange of views on the three themes of the workshop:
- Maritime surveillance and information systems, with an update on the work of the agencies, the presentation of the French Customs' SIAM system, and information sharing challenges.
- Maritime cyber security, the subject of a structured action plan prepared by a specific ECGFF working group.
- Use of aerial drones, with detailed feedback on concepts of use and practical arrangements from Croatia, Finland, Iceland, Italy, Portugal and Finland.
- Perspectives in high altitude observation: new satellite sensors, High Altitude Pseudo-Satellite, balloons.
The dynamic of the European Coast-Guard Function Forum will continue throughout the first half of 2020, with:
- A forthcoming workshop on the 24th and 25th of March in Paris, devoted to train to pollution response and regional cooperation;
- The international and multi-thematic “Coastex 2020” exercise, organized from the 2nd to the 5th of June on the French Mediterranean coast.
(*) European Maritime Safety Agency, European Fisheries Control Agency, European Border and Coast Guard « Frontex », European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA), European Aviation Safety Agency, European Defense Agency, European Space Agency, European Union Satellite Center, Joint Research Center.
On the road to 2020 !
the French Chairmanship of the ECGFF wishes you a Happy New Year 2020, great success in your projects, under the auspices of #COLLABORATION #COOPERATION #COORDINATION !
Milestones for 2020 :
- Workshop #1 – ECGFF – EMSA : Information sharing and data security in the maritime safety and security domains
- 11-12 February 2020, EMSA premises (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Workshop #2 – ECGFF – EFCA :
- 24-25 March 2020, SGMer premises (Paris, France)
- Workshop #3 – ECGFF – FRONTEX : MMO
- Dates to be confirmed (June, South of France)
- ECGFF Plenary Conference
- Beginning of November, Paris